It’s happened to everyone. You wake up, look in the mirror, and see a dreaded red bump appear on your face.
While it may be tempting to try to remove that pimple yourself, you might end up spreading the bacteria to other pores, or worse, ending up with permanent acne scarring.
Just because you shouldn’t pop your pimples yourself doesn’t mean they don’t sometimes need to be popped. The trick is to know what you can safely handle at home without damaging your skin and what needs to be left up to the professionals. Read on to learn more about your options.
5 Reasons to Stop Popping Pimples
What you think of as a “pimple” could actually be one of several different skin issues. Generally speaking, a pimple or blemish is a small cyst that forms when a pore becomes clogged with pus or oil.
Whiteheads are what most people think of when they hear the word pimple – a white plug that forms under the skin, filled with oil and dead skin cells. Also commonly referred to as “pimples” are blackheads, which form when oil and dead cells become exposed to air, making the pore look black. Lastly, pustules are deep acne blemishes that often become red and inflamed – these can be very difficult to remove.
No matter what kind of pimple it is, you should think twice before popping it at home. Here’s why…
- You’re interrupting your body’s healing process. A pimple is your body’s response to bacteria and clogged pores, so it’s best to let it complete the process.
- You might tear or damage the skin. Popping a pimple involves forcefully removing the contents which can tear the skin, leaving an open wound in place of the bump.
- You could make the blemish worse. If you use the wrong technique, you could end up forcing oil and bacteria deeper into your skin, making the pimple become bigger.
- You might create more pimples. When you pop a pimple, the bacteria and oil contained by the bump can be spread to the surrounding pores, making more pimples appear.
- You’re putting yourself at risk for scarring. The combination of skin damage, inflammation, and irritation caused by popping a pimple can cause your skin to scar or discolor.
In most cases, it takes 3 to 7 days for a pimple to heal on its own. If you try to pop it, it could take as long as 14 days for it to completely heal. Is that split second of satisfaction worth the risk and the added healing time? If you really want to get rid of blemishes, your best bet is to trust a professional.
What Should You Do Instead?
In addition to applying products to support ongoing skin health, professional estheticians also work to address current skin concerns like acne (recurring or one-off bouts). Extractions are an essential aspect of any spa facial, especially if you’re concerned with blemishes and keeping your pores healthy.
Here are some of the benefits of professional extraction:
- Professional extractions can be great for removing blackheads – these can be tough to remove at home and come with a risk of spreading the bacteria, creating more blemishes.
- Professional extraction helps dislodge accumulated oil and dirt, cleaning out your pores to help prevent blemishes and to create a better canvas for your makeup and skin care products.
- A professional esthetician or dermatologist knows exactly how to approach different problems to remove them without damaging the integrity of your follicles.
- Professional extractions are not without risk for inflammation, but the risk is much lower than performing it yourself, and the esthetician can apply professional products afterward to soothe the skin.
- A professional esthetician or dermatologist wears gloves and uses sterilized tools to reduce the risk of bacteria transfer which could make your blemishes worse.
- Professional extractions are customized to your skin type and your blemishes – your esthetician knows which blemishes can be removed and which ones are best left to heal on their own.
When it comes to professional facial treatments, extraction is just one piece of the puzzle. Most spa facials include cleansing and moisturizing as well as other targeted treatments depending on your skin type and skin concerns. If you suffer from chronic acne, regular facials every 4 to 6 weeks can help you keep blemishes at bay and save you from the temptation to pop those pimples yourself.
Keep Your Pores Clear with At-Home Products
Many people don’t pay much attention to their skin until there’s a problem. What you need to remember, however, is that the issues you see began well below the surface.
Popping pimples yourself may make you feel and look better in the short-term, but it does nothing to address the root cause or to keep them from coming back. In addition to professional extraction, you should customize your skin care routine at home to cleanse your skin, exfoliate away dead cells, and keep your skin hydrated to prevent excessive oil production to keep pimples at bay long-term.
Here are some of the top Yon-Ka Paris products to use at home to maintain the results of your spa facial and to keep clogged pores and blemishes under control:
- Juvenil – A purifying anti-blemish concentrate, this treatment booster reduces spots and imperfections quickly and effectively. Its purifying qualities remove imperfections while natural botanicals soothe irritation. Apply twice a day to the affected area after cleansing and toning to speed the healing process for healthier, clearer skin.
- Crème 15 – Calm angry, blemish-prone skin with this purifying, soothing anti-acne cream. It naturally eliminates bacteria and balances oil production while soothing irritation. Plus, with antibacterial and anti-redness benefits, this cream is ideal for inflamed lesions like pustules and papules. Apply locally or globally to the affected area before moisturizing.
- Emulsion Pure – Made with a potent concentration of Yon-Ka Quintessence, this multi-action formula is powerful against chronic breakouts. It offers purifying, soothing, and regenerative effects for all types of breakouts and lesions. After cleansing and toning, apply using a cotton round to the affected area for 10 minutes then moisturize as usual.
- Masque 103 – This purifying, clarifying mask naturally tightens pores and purifies the skin to restore a healthy, balanced glow. Made with a triple blend of natural clay designed specifically for oily skin, Masque 103 decongests and oxygenates the complexion to prevent blackheads and the buildup of blemish-causing impurities.
- Masque 105 – A triple clay mask formulated for dry and sensitive skin types, this purifying and clarifying mask is intended for weekly use. It decongests and oxygenates the complexion, tightening pores and clarifying the skin.
From clogged pores to excessive oil production, blemishes are a fact of life for most women. Even if you’re lucky enough not to struggle with chronic acne, professional extraction can keep your pores clear and tight, leaving your skin looking smooth and radiant. Use the Spa Locator to find a Yon-Ka Paris spa near you or consult the Skin Advisor for recommended products to keep your skin clean and clear.