You may think your body shuts down when you close your eyes and drift off to sleep. In reality, your body is hard at work repairing itself while you snooze. In your deepest sleep state, blood supply to your muscles and tissues increases, stimulating growth and repair. Essential hormones are released to strengthen your immune system and your brain works to consolidate memories. Even your skin is working hard to repair and regenerate.
Though your skin naturally repairs itself while you sleep, it shouldn’t have to do it alone. During the day, you use skincare products to clean, hydrate, and protect your skin but that treatment shouldn’t stop at sundown. The right nighttime moisturizer is a key element in your PM skincare routine.
What Makes Nighttime Moisturizer Different?
During the day, your skin is working hard to fend off environmental aggressors like pollution, UV exposure, and weather. Over the course of a long day, your skin may feel a little dry and fine lines may seem more apparent. Cleansing helps remove the grime of the day and toner helps rebalance while increasing absorption of other skincare products. But what about moisturizers?
Your daytime moisturizer is designed to deliver appropriate hydration. It works as a companion to your makeup and SPF protection. Nighttime moisturizer is designed to feed the skin while you sleep, aiding in the process of repair, restoration, and rejuvenation.
Certain PM moisturizer ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids exfoliate the upper layer of skin to reveal brighter, younger-looking skin while nourishing ingredients like shea butter restore softness and help smooth away fine lines. Other ingredients boost collagen production to improve skin elasticity and some soothe the skin, reducing the frequency or severity of breakouts.
What to Look for in Night Cream
As is true for any skincare product, it’s important to choose a night cream appropriate for your skin type. For sensitive skin, a lightweight, soothing product with ingredients like probiotics or arnica might be best. Oily skin does well with ingredients to balance oil production like rosemary essential oil, while dry skin can benefit from nourishing facial oils like Inca Inchi oil in their moisturizer. Avoid anything that might clog your pores or irritate the skin.
Consider these ingredients for optimal nighttime repair:
- Hydrating and nourishing ingredients – Humectants like glycerin and hyaluronic acid are hydrating for all skin types while emollients help slow the rate of moisture loss. Natural ingredients like shea butter, almond oil, and coconut oil prevent dehydration while adding essential nutrients.
- Acids and enzymes –Alpha hydroxy acids including glycolic acid exfoliates dead skin cells to help clear the pores and may add additional moisturizing properties. Botanical enzymes can work in tandem with acids to help smooth the skin and fight aging signs.
- Antioxidants – Vitamins E and A are antioxidants which protect the skin against free radical damage to reduce pigmentation as well as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamin A also stimulates collagen production and speeds cell turnover while vitamin E supports the skin healing process. Green tea extract is another source of antioxidants.
Recommended Nighttime Moisturizers from Yon-Ka Paris
Choosing the best night cream can seem like a tough decision but Yon-Ka Paris offers a wide variety of options to fit any skin type. Whether you have sensitive skin, dry skin, or mature skin, there’s an option available for you. Made with plant cell active-based ingredients, Yon-Ka Paris skincare products deliver a therapeutic and luxurious experience designed to address specific skincare concerns.
Here are the top Yon-Ka Paris nighttime moisturizers to consider:
- Phyto 58 PS – Formulated for dry skin, this regenerating night cream erases the visible signs of aging and fatigue. Its clarifying, detoxifying, antiseptic, and tightening effects tone down recent dark spots and tighten pores to restore radiance for glowing youthful-looking skin.
- Phyto 58 PNG – An invigorating night cream formulated for normal to oily skin types, this product features the fresh scent and purifying actions of rosemary. It is loaded with vitamins to tighten the pores and resolve recent pigmentation, erasing the visible signs of fatigued and aging skin.
- Elastine Nuit – This smoothing anti-wrinkle night cream restores the skin’s natural elasticity and softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Enriched with protein and milk peptides, this recipe also contains shea butter to protect and repair all types of mature skin.
- Time Resist Nuit – The perfect companion to Time Resist Jour, this anti-aging night cream neutralizes the effects of skin-damaging external factors to control the visible signs of aging. It replenishes and revitalizes the skin so it appears firm, fresh, and hydrated upon waking.
When choosing a nighttime moisturizer, you can put your daytime worries to bed. You won’t need SPF and you can indulge in a richer, heavier cream without worrying about shine. After all, you’ll wash your face again in the morning to start the day fresh.
Tips to Maximize Nighttime Skin Repair
To get the most out of your nightly moisturizer, remember to cleanse your face prior to moisturizing at night. And to reduce the spread of acne-causing bacteria, change your pillowcases often. If you sleep with an eye mask, be sure to wash it often.
In addition to using a PM moisturizer, you might consider adding a booster to address specific skin issues like dehydration and anti-aging. Try Booster Hydra+, an intensely hydrating concentrate that maximizes the effects of your nighttime moisturizer to diminish rough patches without clogging pores. Booster Lift+ enlivens aging skin, tightening the facial contours and promoting healthy skin tone. Booster Nutri+ features a powerful combination of nutrients to nourish, regenerate, and soften the skin, gently reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while you rest.
Getting a good night’s sleep is good for your body, mind, and for your skin. Though your body does most of the work on its own, you can give it a helping hand with the right nighttime moisturizer. Use the Skin Advisor or talk to a Yon-Ka Paris professional to find the perfect moisturizer for your skin today.