Acne is a common condition affecting between 40 and 50 million people in the United States. Though acne typically affects adolescents, it can follow you into adulthood. In fact, over 50% of women and 40% of men over the age of 25 experience some degree of facial acne.
Even if you were lucky enough to have left breakouts behind when you entered adulthood, you may have experienced a resurgence in recent months. If so, you’re not alone.
In reaction to the global spread of COVID-19 earlier this year, scientists and medical professionals recommended wearing masks. Wearing a mask for long periods of time is nothing new to doctors, nurses, and others working in medicine, but having to wear a mask every time you leave the house is a new experience for most of us. For many, the resulting “maskne” is a new experience as well. What’s more, the added summer hear and anxiety only add to the skin problems.
Here’s what you need to know about maskne, how to properly treat it, and how to prevent it from happening with the help of Yon-Ka’s new Clear Skin Routine trio.
What is Maskne, Anyway?
Everything has a nickname these days and maskne is just what you might assume – acne caused by mask use. Wearing a mask doesn’t directly cause acne, but long-term wear can create conditions that lead to acne such as clogged pores. Breathing into a cloth mask for hours can result in bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells becoming trapped in your pores, increasing the formation of blackheads, whiteheads, and other acne conditions. The longer and more often you wear a mask, the greater your risk for maskne.
Here are some simple tips for treating maskne:
- Wash your face frequently to remove acne-causing bacteria as well as dirt and excess oil. If you have oily skin, you may want to keep some facial wipes on hand to use throughout the day.
- Give your skin a break from the mask whenever possible – take it off when you’re at home or outdoors away from other people.
- Consider using a barrier cream if you wear your mask for more than 30 minutes at a time. These creams are made with hydrating ingredients like hyaluronic acid which protect your skin’s natural moisture barrier, helping prevent dryness and other issues like maskne.
- If you wear a reusable cotton mask, wash it frequently to remove acne-causing bacteria. Keep several masks on hand so you always have a clean one to use.
- Make sure your reusable cloth mask is completely dry before wearing it – wearing a damp mask can create acne-causing conditions underneath that may make your breakouts worse.
Once you get your maskne under control, the next step is to prevent it from coming back. Keep your mask (and your face) clean to prevent the buildup of dirt, oil, and bacteria on your skin and use spot treatments like benzoyl peroxide to banish blemishes as needed. Read on for more prevention tips.
Prevent Maskne with Yon-Ka’s Clear Skin Routine
With over 60 years of experience in the beauty and wellness industry, Yon-Ka knows what it takes to achieve and maintain healthy skin. Though the current pandemic may have changed your life in a variety of ways, it shouldn’t destroy your skin. In keeping with our history of innovation and track record of scientifically proven efficacy, Yon-Ka has put together a trio of products to help you keep your skin clean and clear whether you wear a mask for 2 hours a day or 12 hours.
The Clear Skin Routine features three of Yon-Ka’s most popular products including a gentle gel cleanser, anti-blemish concentrate, and anti-acne moisturizing cream. These products work in harmony to cleanse, hydrate, and purify your skin and works with all skin types.
Here are the three Yon-Ka Paris products featured in this easy-to-use skincare routine:
- Gel Nettoyant – A cleansing makeup remover gel, this 2-in-1 product is the backbone of an anti-acne routine. In addition to removing eye and face makeup, this foaming gel softens, hydrates, and purifies the skin to leave you feeling refreshed and squeaky clean.
- Juvenil Solution – This powerful topical treatment is just what you need to address blemishes quickly to speed the healing process and restore the healthy appearance of your skin. With purifying ichthyol and soothing calendula, this booster can be used as a spot treatment or added to your daily moisturizer for total breakout control.
- Crème 15 – Keeping your skin hydrated is essential, but you want to avoid products that irritate sensitive skin or trap excess oil on the skin’s surface. This anti-acne cream balances oil production and eliminates bacteria while soothing irritation and restoring healthy hydration.
While implementing the Yon-Ka’s Clear Skin Routine into your skincare regimen, you may want to think about the other products you’re using. Skincare experts recommend updating your skincare routine with each changing season, or when you notice your current routine isn’t providing the results you want. For expert advice on products appropriate for your skin type and your individual skin concerns, use the Yon-Ka Skin Advisor or stop in to your local Yon-Ka Paris spa partner for recommendations.
The world we live in may be full of uncertainty, but you can count on Yon-Ka Paris to always have the best interests of your health, your skin, and your budget in mind. Enjoy free shipping all summer on your favorite Yon-Ka products, including the new Clear Skin Routine trio.