When you were young, you probably didn’t put too much thought into skincare. Your skin was already smooth and supple with few concerns aside from the occasional breakout. As your body and your skin ages, it starts to mature, and you develop visible signs of the aging process.
It is never too early to start a daily skincare routine, but before you do it’s a good idea to make sure you’re doing it correctly. Even simple skincare mistakes could wind up aging your skin.
In this article, we’ll address some of the most common skincare mistakes that can make you look older. You’ll also receive advice for avoiding those mistakes and recommendations for our best anti-aging products.
The Top 9 Skincare Mistakes That Could Age You
Unfortunately, no one has discovered a secret method for stopping time, but just because you can’t rewind the clock on aging doesn’t mean you have to look your age. A simple daily skincare routine can work wonders for your skin, but many people make the mistake of skipping their daily regimen or they perform it incorrectly. As simple as routine skincare can be, it is also easy to mess it up.
Here are some common skincare mistakes that can make you look older:
- Exfoliating too little or too often. Exfoliation should be part of any skincare routine, but you have to do it right. If you don’t exfoliate, dead skin cells can accumulate on the skin’s surface, making your complexion look dull – it can also accentuate fine lines and wrinkles. On the other side of the coin, exfoliating too much or too harshly can damage your skin, drying it out or increasing your risk for breakouts. Choose the right exfoliator for your skin type and start with one or two days a week, working your way up to three times a week if needed.
- Not cleansing before bed at night. Failing to remove your makeup before going to bed is one of the most common skincare mistakes, but it is only half the problem. If you don’t wash your face at night, you’re failing to remove dirt, debris, pollution, and free radicals that can make your skin look dull and dry when you wake up, accentuating fine lines and wrinkles.
- Using the wrong skincare products. The skincare products that work well for one person don’t necessarily work for everyone. In fact, using the wrong products could make your skin problems worse. For example, if someone with dry or dehydrated skin uses a product that contains ingredients that strip the skin, it could dry the skin even more. Find out what your skin type and skin conditions are and then shop accordingly.
- Forgetting about the neck and chest. When applying skincare products, you primarily focus on your face but don’t forget about your neck and upper chest. The skin in these areas is still delicate and it sees just as much sun exposure as your face does. Failure to use SPF on your neck and chest can eventually cause fine lines and wrinkles to develop there.
- Not getting enough sleep. When you toss and turn all night, you probably feel groggy in the morning and may have trouble concentrating at work. On top of these consequences, you may also notice dark circles under your eyes but the true impact of sleep deprivation on your skin goes deeper than that. When you’re asleep is when your skin cells rest and repair, healing themselves from daily damage. If you don’t get enough sleep, that damage accumulates, and you wind up looking older than you really are. Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
- Tanning too often/excess sun exposure. Exposure to UVA and UVB rays is bad for your skin, so any kind of tanning besides sunless tanning products can increase your risk for skin cancer and make you look older. This is true for both tanning outside or indoor tanning beds.
- Not using SPF on a daily basis. Wearing sunscreen during the summer seems like an obvious choice, but many people make the mistake of not wearing SPF every day. Though the sun is strongest during the summer, your skin can still burn on cloudy days and daily exposure to UVA and UVB rays can add up over time, drying out your skin and accelerating the aging process. Try to get into the habit of wearing sunscreen daily.
- Following an unhealthy diet. You’ve probably noticed that when you overindulge on junk food your skin shows the effects. What you eat has a direct impact on your skin health and making unhealthy choices can make you look older. Try to limit your intake of added sugar and refined carbohydrates, focusing on antioxidant-rich fruits and fresh veggies.
- Not staying hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is essential for total-body health but also for skin health in particular. When your body becomes dehydrated, it starts to pull water from your tissues and skin to help maintain proper fluid levels in your blood. As your skin loses moisture, fine lines and wrinkles become more apparent and your skin looks dull and dry.
As your skin matures, it starts to lose some of its elasticity which is why you may notice fine lines and wrinkles. On top of that, production of the natural oils that keep the skin protected and help maintain hydration slow down, making your skin more susceptible to the environment and to the skincare mistakes reviewed above. Fortunately, the right skincare products can help your skin stay looking and feeling young.
Recommended Products to Slow Aging
When shopping for skincare products, the most important thing is to shop for your skin type and skin conditions. Choosing the wrong product could make your skin issues worse and might make you look older.
In addition to selecting products for your skin type and skin conditions, you should also shop from a trustworthy skin care company that understands the science behind skin care and has results that are research-backed. Yon-Ka Paris is a professional French skincare brand that blends science and nature by utilizing essential oils and plant extracts to address common skin concerns, like aging, naturally and with amazing results.
Here are some of Yon-Ka Paris’ top skincare products for anti-aging:
- Time Resist (Day & Night) – Available in a daytime and nighttime formula, these nourishing creams work together to combat the internal and external signs of aging with nourishing oils and powerful botanical extracts like stem cells. Apply after cleansing to the face, neck, and décolleté.
- Excellence Code Masque – Fight the signs of aging with this creamy masque enriched with powerful anti-aging ingredients to leave your skin looking plumped, toned, and bright. Featuring marine collagen and natural fruit extracts, this masque erases signs of tiredness as well as fine lines and wrinkles.
- Alpha Contour Gel – Made with hyaluronic acid and natural plant extracts, this smoothing gel restores hydration and tone to the eye and lip contours for an anti-aging effect. Apply a thin layer twice daily using soft effleurage techniques around the eyes.
- Cellular Code Serum – Formulated for mature skin or any clients 35+ that need a boost, this soft and velvety serum helps restore the skin’s youthful appearance by improving tone and firmness. Apply to cleansed skin in the morning and evening for keep your skin looking young and fresh. Apply a Yon-Ka anti-aging moisturizer like Time Resist or Excellence Code Crème
In addition to avoiding things that can make you look older you should also start taking your skin health more seriously. Regular facials can help resolve common issues like fine lines, dark spots, and breakouts while using the right at-home skin care products will extend your results. Talk to a Yon-Ka professional for recommendations and use the Spa Locator to find a spa near you.