Your body requires a variety of essential nutrients but one of the most important for skin health is a fat-soluble antioxidant called vitamin E. A common ingredient in skincare products, vitamin E protects the skin from UV damage, supports skin repair, and prevents oxidative damage. Though vitamin E can be found naturally in certain foods, topical application provides supplemental benefits.
Read on to learn exactly what vitamin E is and what it can do for your skin. You’ll also discover the secret behind its antioxidant benefits and learn which Yon-Ka Paris products feature this powerful ingredient.
What is Vitamin E?
To put it simply, vitamin E is a fat-soluble antioxidant. An antioxidant is a natural or manmade substance that protects against certain types of cellular damage caused by free radicals.
Free radicals are highly unstable molecules that cause oxidative stress, a process that triggers cellular damage and may contribute to serious diseases including heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. Antioxidants help neutralize these free radicals, reducing oxidative stress and boosting overall health.
Natural sources of vitamin E include nuts, seeds, and certain plant oils. Sunflower seeds, almonds, and peanuts are rich in vitamin E, as are grapeseed, safflower, rice bran, and wheat germ oils.
The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for this vitamin is about 15mg for adults over the age of 14. The best way to achieve your RDA is through natural sources. Be careful though, high doses of supplemental vitamin E comes with a risk for serious side effects. If you’re trying to harness the skin-supporting benefits of this antioxidant, look for it as an ingredient in topical skincare products instead.
The Benefits of Vitamin E for Skin
The antioxidant benefits of vitamin E for skin can be concentrated in an oil for topical applications. Vitamin E oil is a common ingredient in skincare products, especially those that offer anti-aging benefits. In the proper concentration, and in combination with other natural ingredients, vitamin E can provide a wide variety of benefits for your skin.
Here are the top 9 benefits of vitamin E for your skin:
- It assists with various kinds of cellular restoration from burns and scars to sun damage.
- It protects against free radical damage from environmental stressors like air pollution, cigarette smoke, alcohol, and toxins.
- It may help heal and restore skin damaged by chronic skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- It provides moisturizing benefits, strengthening skin barrier function to keep the skin hydrated.
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory which may help soothe and calm irritated skin.
- It acts as a moderately effective natural barrier against the sun’s UV rays (it should still be used with sunscreen SPF 30+).
- It works with vitamin C to treat melasma, a condition characterized by hyperpigmentation.
- It may prevent or minimize the appearance of scars, including acne scars.
- It helps hydrate and repair skin to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Though vitamin E is essential for healthy skin, it works best when balanced with other nutrients, particularly vitamin C. Another antioxidant, vitamin C plays a key role in collagen production. It helps heal damaged skin and fight the visible signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles.
Tips for Using Vitamin E for Skin
In addition to being a powerful antioxidant, vitamin E also works as a barrier booster – it seals in moisture and smooths the skin. This is why it’s such an important ingredient in anti-aging products. To include vitamin E in your skincare regimen, look for vitamin E as an ingredient in skincare products formulated for your skin type.
Here are some simple tips to include vitamin E in your skincare routine:
- Look for a daily moisturizer that includes vitamin E and vitamin C – the photo-protective properties will boost the effects of sunscreen to protect against UV damage.
- Use a vitamin E moisturizer to soothe the skin after sun exposure – it may also provide some relief from environmental irritation from pollution.
- Apply a small amount of a vitamin E rich facial oil directly to scars to minimize their appearance once a day for several weeks.
When using topical vitamin E, it’s important to follow certain precautions. People with very sensitive skin or a history of allergic reactions should perform a patch test before using vitamin E oil. There is less risk when using skincare products that incorporate vitamin E oil with other ingredients.
The Top Yon-Ka Paris Products with Antioxidants
If you’re looking for premium skincare products you can trust, look no further than Yon-Ka Paris. With over 65 years of experience in the skincare industry, Yon-Ka offers a collection of luxurious, plant cell active-based skincare regimens backed by scientific evidence. Shop the online store to discover a unique olfactive and therapeutic experience or visit one of over 5,000 collaborating spas worldwide.
Here are some of the top Yon-Ka Paris products featuring vitamin E:
- Booster Nutri+ – Boost the effects of your daily moisturizer with this nutri-energizing oil. Formulated with vitamin E-rich oils and natural energizing ingredients, this serum nourishes and regenerates the skin, softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Nutri-Contour – Hydrate and repair the delicate skin around the eyes and lips with this luxurious contour cream. Designed specifically for dry and dehydrated skin types, this daily shield smooths sensitive areas to maintain soft lips and bright eyes at any age. This formula features nourishing hazelnut oil, soothing chamomile, and antioxidant vitamin E.
- Nutri-Defense – For emergency repair of dry, damaged skin, this intensely comforting cream delivers immediate and long-lasting relief to undernourished skin. Enriched with antioxidants like vitamin E and nourishing agents like shea butter and grapeseed oil, this repairing cream soothes tightness and irritation while combating the premature signs of aging.
- Elastine Jour – This smoothing anti-wrinkle day cream softens the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, restoring the skin’s natural elasticity. Featuring milk peptides, shea butter, and antioxidants like vitamins E and C, this light daytime treatment is ideal for all mature skin types.
The key to quality skincare is the inclusion of powerful, natural ingredients. Luxurious nut and seed oils are naturally rich in vitamin E and other antioxidants that nourish and protect the skin. These are just a few of the many exclusive products available from Yon-Ka Paris.
To find the perfect fit for your skin, use the Skincare Advisor or check the Spa Finder to locate a Yon-Ka Paris spa in your area. Many Yon-Ka Paris spas are currently offering virtual consultations to identify skin concerns and to help you find the best products to address your skincare needs.