As the year comes to a close, we often find ourselves looking back on the fond memories we created over the previous months. This year has been more difficult than most, however, and if you’re feeling more than ready to close the book on 2020, you’re not alone.
Each new year brings a sense of new beginning. Whether you’re one to make New Year’s resolutions or not, 2021 is the perfect time to shake off the dust and take a few big steps forward. What better way to start the new year than to revamp your skincare routine? Basic skincare is essential and the sooner you start the better. Whether you’re a total beginner or just need to make a few changes your existing routine, resolve to take better care of your skin in the coming year.
Here are some tips and tricks for updating your skincare routine for 2021 along with a few tried-and-true favorites you should be sure to include. You’ll also see our recommendations for Yon-Ka Paris products to help you get your glow on in 2021.
Out with the Old, In with the New
This year we’ve spent a great deal of time at home, so we can’t blame you if your morning routine became a little simpler. When your workday consists of tapping away at your laptop in the living room instead of interacting with clients at the office, it gets harder to justify waking up an hour early to get ready for the day. Before things really get back to normal you should take the time to go through your products and reevaluate your routine in general.
When you’re keeping up with your routine, you go through products at a predictable rate. Over the past year, however, your monthly supply may have started to stretch to two months, three months, or even longer. Now’s the time to check those “Best By” dates and throw out products that are expired. Many products don’t have actual expiration dates but it’s generally a good rule of thumb to assume that if you opened it several months ago and have barely used it, it’s probably best to start fresh.
Once you’ve gone through your products, take a look at what you have left and what you need to replenish. Before you rush out to restock, however, think about your existing routine and the current condition of your skin. You may find there’s room to make a few improvements.
Don’t Skip the Essentials
Building a skincare routine doesn’t have to be difficult. Whether you’re starting from scratch or just looking to simplify, there are really four steps you need to focus on:
Even if you’re spending most of your time at home, your skin accumulates dirt, oil, and other debris throughout the day. Start each day with a good cleanse using a product appropriate for your skin type. Try Yon-Ka Gel Nettoyant cleansing gel or, if you have sensitive or reactive skin, give Yon-Ka Nettoyant Crème a try. While your skin is still damp, spray on a layer of Lotion Yon-Ka toner for a boost of hydration and to help rebalance your skin.
Once your skin is clean, it’s time to moisturize. Again, it’s important to choose a moisturizer appropriate for your skin type – you may even want to choose a different formula for daytime and nighttime use. Nighttime moisturizers often contain nourishing ingredients which take advantage of the skin’s regeneration overnight. Finally, don’t forget to protect your skin with Yon-Ka SPF 50. No matter the weather, broad-spectrum sunscreen is essential to fight aging and protect against skin cancer.
Update Your Routine with These Yon-Ka Products
When making changes to your skincare routine, it’s best to start slow. Begin with a simple 4-step process to cleanse, tone, moisturize, and protect using products appropriate for your skin type and skin conditions. Once your skin has adjusted to the new products, you can start slowly adding in additional products to address specific concerns like exfoliators, masks, and serums.
Here are some new products you may want to include in your updated skincare routine:
- Exfoliators – Including exfoliation in your skincare routine 2 to 3 times per week helps remove imperfections and renew your skin’s tone and texture. Gommage Yon-Ka is a peeling gel exfoliant ideal for sensitive or dehydrated skin while Guarana Scrub is a gentle botanical scrub formulated to unclog pores, refresh the skin, and enliven the complexion.
- Nighttime Moisturizers – A nighttime moisturizer is the perfect way to optimize the skin’s reparative process, so you wake with soft, glowing skin. Yon-Ka Elastine Nuit plumps, smooths, and nourishes the skin while you sleep to reduce the signs of aging while Phyto 58 PS moisturizers, balances, and revitalizes dry skin and defends against environmental damage.
- Masks – A mask is the perfect way to address specific skin concerns or simply to impart a little extra moisture. Yon-Ka Masque 103 is a purifying, detoxifying triple clay mask for oily skin while Hydra No. 1 Masque is an intensely hydrating, repairing mask for mature skin types.
- Eye & Lip Contours – The eye and lip contours are the most delicate areas of the face and the most prone to visible signs of aging. Yon-Ka Phyto-Contour is designed to stimulate microcirculation to invigorate and relieve fatigued eye contours while Nutri-Contour delivers a healthy dose of nutrition to help prevent the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Boosters or Elixirs – Give your daily skincare routine a quick boost with nutritive and reparative boosters. Add one to two pumps of the appropriate booster to your moisturizer to customize your routine. Yon-Ka Elixir Vital revitalizes and regenerates damaged skin with intense moisturizing action. Use the Elixir Vital once or twice a day instead of your usual moisturizer. Yon-Ka Juvenil purifies the skin and removes imperfections to speed the healing process. Juvenil can be used as a spot treatment for breakouts or added to your moisturizer for acne-prone skin.
The start of a new year can be exciting. After a year like 2020, the idea of starting fresh is incredibly enticing but don’t feel like you have to make too many updates at once. If you want to start off the new year right, consider making improvements to your skincare routine. You may find it’s easier to stick to an updated skincare regimen than a new diet and you may see the benefits more quickly as well!
If you’re developing a skincare routine for the first time or just don’t know what updates might be the most beneficial, check out the Yon-Ka Paris Skin Advisor or stop in to your local Yon-Ka Paris partner spa for custom product recommendations.