Think back to your earliest foray into skincare. What products captured your attention first? Chances are it wasn’t the acid peels or the antioxidant serums. Especially if you struggled with breakouts during your youth, you probably reached for a clay mask. They’re easy to find, simple to apply, and – let’s be honest – they’re a lot of fun. They’re also great for your skin.
Clay masks are a staple in the skincare industry, and for good reason. Natural clays like kaolin, bentonite, and montmorillonite have a long history of use in alternative medicine and natural skincare. Here’s what you need to know about the benefits of natural clay masks and how to use them.
What Are the Benefits of Clay Masks?
Clay has been used in alternative medicine for centuries dating as far back as 60 B.C. and Aristotle himself – nicknamed the Father of Medicine – touted its therapeutic benefits. Natural clay is derived from the Earth itself and is rich in minerals. It offers detoxifying and purifying benefits which make it particularly beneficial as a skincare ingredient.
Here are the top 7 benefits of clay masks for your skin:
- Draws out impurities. Over the course of the day, oil, dirt, and other impurities can build up on the surface of your skin and deep in your pores – clay helps draw out those impurities.
- Brightens dull complexion. Natural clay masks deliver gentle exfoliation, helping remove dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, leaving you with a brighter complexion.
- Mattifies oily skin. Clay masks can help absorb excess oil and balance the oil production in your skin – this may also help reduce the severity or frequency of acne breakouts.
- Refines the look of pores. You can’t actually change the size of your pores, but clay masks can help reduce their appearance, giving you a smoother complexion.
- Boosts circulation. Natural clay can improve circulation to the skin, helping deliver oxygenated blood and nutrients to the skin to support healing and regeneration.
- Balances oil production. For combination skin, clay masks can help balance oil production in the skin without making it become overly dry or irritated.
- It fights breakouts. Applying a clay mask to active acne breakouts helps soothe irritation and reduce inflammation while also absorbing excess oil and bacteria to prevent future breakouts.
In addition to providing these skin benefits, clay masks are easy to apply and easy to remove. Simply start with clean skin and apply the mask in an opaque layer using your fingers or a clean makeup brush. Let the mask process for 10 to 15 minutes then remove with a damp cloth and follow with a hydrating moisturizer.
Two Natural Clay Masks from Yon-Ka Paris
For more than 65 years, Yon-Ka’s plant cell active-based skincare regimens have been delivering natural and scientifically proven results. Clay, a traditional skincare ingredient, is the foundation for two purifying masks – Masque 103 and Masque 105 – which purify the skin, tighten pores, and balance out excess oil production. These formulations are made with a 30% concentration of Yon-Ka’s unique triple-clay blend which features the following types of clay:
- Kaolin – A white Chinese clay, kaolin is used to balance oil production and refine the skins texture and appearance.
- Bentonite – A beige French clay, bentonite is used to tighten the pores.
- Montmorillonite – A green French clay, montmorillonite detoxifies and oxygenates the skin.
Here’s a deeper look at Yon-Ka Paris’ natural clay masks:
This pore-clarifying mask is a must-have for normal to oily skin types. Featuring a triple-clay blend, this purifying and detoxifying mask helps clarify the skin while tightening the pores for a fresher, more youthful complexion. Comprised of natural ingredients, this clay mask also features a luxurious blend of clarifying botanicals including wild thyme extract and essential oils of lime, sweet orange, and sage to deliver a toning and oxygenating effect on the skin.
Use 1 to 3 times per week after cleansing and toning with Lotion Yon-Ka.
Pro Tip: While the mask is processing, spray your Lotion Yon-Ka toner to keep the mask moist. This makes it easier to remove and helps keep the skin balanced.
Other Uses: Use Masque 103 as an overnight spot treatment for acne breakouts. After cleansing, toning, and moisturizing in the evening apply a bit of the Masque 103 directly to the breakout and let dry. Follow your normal skincare routine in the morning.
Formulated for normal to dry and sensitive skin types, this clarifying mask soothes, purifies, and detoxifies the skin. Made with natural ingredients including a triple clay blend, this mask doubles as a brightening treatment. Lemon peel oil optimizes the detoxifying effects of this clay mask while a luxurious blend of essential oils and pampering botanicals help tighten the pores and sooth.
Use 1 to 3 times per week after cleansing and toning with Lotion Yon-Ka. Detoxify normal to dry and sensitive skin with a 15-minute mask treatment. Apply Masque 105 in an opaque layer to the face and neck then leave on for 15 minutes. Spray with Lotion Yon-Ka to keep the mask moist during processing then rinse to remove. The skin will be purified and clear, not irritated or dry.
Tips for Using Clay Masks Properly
Clay masks can be beneficial for all skin types, delivering purifying and detoxifying effects at all ages. Not only are clay masks highly effective, but they are gentle on the skin and easy to apply. That being said, there are a few things to keep in mind when using clay masks.
Here are some simple tips for using clay masks:
- Start by cleansing the skin to remove dirt, oil, and makeup from the surface of the skin.
- Apply the mask in a thin, even layer – it should be opaque but not overly thick.
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes for the mask to process on your skin before removing it.
- Wet a washcloth with lukewarm water and use it to gently wipe the mask off your skin.
- Pat your skin dry then apply Lotion Yon-Ka and your preferred moisturizer.
To enjoy the maximum benefit of clay masks, use them two to three times per week. Making natural clay masks part of your weekly skincare routine can help keep your pores clear and your oil production in balance. It may also help with common skin concerns like uneven skin tones.