The best skincare products contain ingredients that nourish and protect the skin. Jojoba oil, derived from a desert perennial, is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and fatty acids. This powerful skincare ingredient offers properties similar to the skin’s natural oils which means it has the ability to penetrate below the skin’s surface to deliver plenty of nourishment.
While jojoba is often included in skincare ingredients in the form of a liquid oil, its most potent form is a wax ester. Here’s what you need to know about jojoba oil including what it is, what benefits it provides, and how to incorporate it into your skincare routine using Yon-Ka skincare products.
What is Jojoba?
The jojoba plant (Simmondsia chinensis) is a desert shrub native to southern California, southern Arizona, and northwestern Mexico. The seed of the plant is comprised of about 50% jojoba oil by weight which contains natural antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Jojoba oil has likely been used medicinally for hundreds of years – originally by the O’odham Native Americans who used the oil to treat wounds and sores – though it has only been domesticated since the early 1970s. During the 1940s, jojoba oil was used as an additive to transmission oil, motor oil, and differential gear oil during the war. It was also used to lubricate machine guns.
At room temperature, unrefined jojoba oil is a clear, golden liquid. It is more shelf-stable than other plant oils like almond oil and safflower oil because it contains a relatively low percentage of triglycerides. Jojoba esters contain no triglycerides and are even more shelf-stable than jojoba oils.
Here are some of the potential benefits of jojoba:
- It has natural emollient properties which may help soothe, soften, and moisturize the skin.
- It can be used as a natural remedy for wounds and skin conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis, sunburn, and stretch marks.
- It may help balance oil production which can be beneficial for reducing acne breakouts.
- It contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties which may help speed wound healing.
- Its natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits may slow the effects of aging on skin.
- Its waxlike properties help hydrate the hair to improve shine and reduce breakage.
Jojoba oil is used in a wide range of cosmetics and body products. Before you buy, however, make sure you know what you’re purchasing. It’s important to understand the difference between jojoba oil and jojoba ester as well as their varied applications.
Jojoba Oil vs. Jojoba Ester
The nut or seed of the jojoba plant contains about 50% jojoba oil by weight. It is a clear, golden liquid that has a slight nutty aroma to it. Refined jojoba oil, however, is both odorless and colorless. Depending where it’s grown, the fatty acid content of jojoba oil can vary – when it is harvested and how it is processed may also have an impact on the oil’s chemical makeup.
Jojoba esters are the hydrogenated form of jojoba oil. They have no triglyceride content, rather they are comprised of long-chain fatty acids and fatty alcohols held together by an ester bond. Jojoba esters are made through the hydrogenation or interesterification of jojoba oil (or a combination of the two), though both pure hydrogenated jojoba oil and pure jojoba oil are sometimes referred to as jojoba ester.
When it comes to its applications in skincare, jojoba ester is typically used as an emollient. It shares remarkable similarity with human sebum (the natural oils produced in the skin) and it has a very high oxidative stability. This simply means it is more shelf-stable than other oils like squalene and almond oil.
How to Incorporate Jojoba into Your Skincare Routine
Jojoba comes in a variety of textures which makes it useful in different types of skincare products. While jojoba oil may be beneficial as a nourishing ingredient, helping to keep moisture in the top layer of skin, jojoba ester supports barrier repair and helps control oil production. The best way to incorporate jojoba into your skincare routine is with high-quality skincare products formulated to address your skin concerns.
Here are some of the top Yon-Ka products featuring jojoba:
- Hydra No. 1 Fluide – This hydrating and mattifying fluid is perfect for oily skin types. Comprised of 89% ingredients of natural origin (including anti-dehydration jojoba ester), this formula delivers deep, lasting hydration while controlling surface oil for smooth, supple skin.
- Hydra No. 1 Masque – Ideal for overnight hydration, this mask intensely soothes and hydrates dry and dehydrated skin. Enriched with a botanical complex of aloe vera, jojoba ester, and vegetal glycerin, this formula seals moisture into the skin’s upper layers to maintain the skin’s optimal moisture levels and defend against aging.
- Men’s Foam Scrub – Buff away buildup for clearer, smoother skin with this exfoliating scrub. This scrub helps manage dullness and ingrown hairs while tightening pores and polishing the skin. A combination of bamboo silica and jojoba beads deliver gentle exfoliation for all skin types while skin-soothing algae extract and licorice soothe and moisturize the skin.
- Nutri Defense – Rescue dry and dehydrated skin with this comforting, reparative moisturizer. This formula features a highly concentrated blend of prebiotics and probiotics as well as nourishing shea butter, grapeseed, and avocado oils to restore the skin’s healthy balance.
- Cellular Code Serum – This anti-aging serum is formulated to reprogram your skin’s youth code by boosting cellular longevity proteins and revitalizing cellular energy. Enriched with moisturizing ingredients like jojoba ester and a bouquet of botanical extracts, this formula yields smoother, firmer, and more radiant skin.
- Excellence Code Contours – Tone, tighten, smooth, and brighten the eye and lip contours with this silky formula. Paired with a patented applicator to facilitate massage, this formula helps minimize the look of surface pigmentation and dark circles around the eyes.
Choosing the right skincare products is all about knowing your skin type and understanding your skincare needs. Yon-Ka products containing jojoba are great for dry and dehydrated skin, though they can help smooth and soften all skin types. Consult the Yon-Ka Skincare Advisor or stop in to your local Yon-Ka Paris partner spa for custom skincare recommendations.