Everyone has their own skin struggles — from acne to rosacea — but there’s one we all have in common: pores. When they become clogged with dead skin cells, oil, and dirt they become larger and more noticeable. As much as you might want to erase them completely, that simply isn’t an option. Your pore size is genetic but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to minimize their appearance.
A combination of regular facials and the right skincare products can clean and purify your skin, reducing and refining the appearance of your pores. Read on to learn what causes large pores and what you can do to get them under control.
What Causes Large Pores?
The term pore simply refers to small openings in the skin through which oil and sweat reach the surface. There are two types of pores: oil pores and sweat pores.
Oil pores are also known as hair follicles and they can be found all over your body except the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet. These pores are the most visible, so when people talk about large pores it’s usually these they’re referring to. Sweat pores are all over your body as well, but they are extremely small and generally can’t be seen with the naked eye.
Your pores perform an important role, releasing the sebum (oil) that keeps your skin moisturized as well as the sweat that helps your body regulate its temperature. Unfortunately, the pores can easily become clogged when excess oil, dirt, and dead skin cells become trapped in the hair follicles. This can lead to acne blemishes like blackheads, whiteheads, and sometimes inflamed breakouts. Sweat pores can also become blocked but it results in heat rash, not blemishes.
When your pores become clogged, they may appear more visible. Genetics and skin type play a role in pore size because they also impact your skin’s oil production.
Here are some other things that contribute to large pores:
- Living in a hot and humid climate increases oil production and sweating.
- Men tend to have larger pores since higher testosterone levels can increase oil production.
- Loss of skin elasticity due to age may make pores more prone to clogging.
- People of certain ethnicities simply have larger pores. Dark skin types are prone to oily skin, but the pores may be less visible on a darker complexion.
- Working out multiple times a week and sweating can make you more prone to clogged pores.
- Skin damage from UV rays, pollution, and other environmental irritants can change the appearance of your pores.
Again, you can’t physically change the size of your pores but keeping your face clean and your pores clear can help them look smaller and less noticeable. Genetics will always prevail, so unclogging and refining your pores may be a constant battle.
How to Minimize the Appearance of Pores
The big question is, “can you shrink your pores?” Pore size is genetically determined, so you can’t actually change their size. What you can do, however, is minimize their appearance by keeping them clean. When your pores are constantly clogged with dirt and oil, they can stretch which makes them appear bigger. Aging and sun damage can also increase your pore size.
Instead of trying to shrink your pores, you can make them less visible. One of the best things you can do is unclog your pores – clean out all the excess oil, dirt, and dead skin cells causing them to stretch. Alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) dissolve the connections between the surface of the skin and your cells themselves to exfoliate your skin.
Skin products with vitamin A are another great option to shrink pores. It works by increasing your skin’s collagen production while reducing oil production. The result is smoother skin, fewer breakouts, and cleaner, tighter pores.
I addition to the above, you should also take steps to cleanse and protect your skin by regularly washing your face and wearing sunscreen.
The Benefits of Professional Facials
If you find yourself constantly battling with clogged pores, you may want to seek professional help. Cleansers, scrubs, and chemical exfoliants are great but they will only take you so far. For seriously clogged pores and frequent breakouts, a professional facial with extractions might be the way to go.
Contact your nearest Yon-Ka Paris professional today for a one-on-one consultation to discuss your options. By customizing the facial to your skin, a Yon-Ka Paris professional can achieve more significant, longer-lasting results than you can get at home.
At-Home Tips to Refine Your Pores
While a professional treatment will help you address clogged pores, it’s important to maintain the right skincare routine between visits. There are specific products you can use to keep your pores clear and less visible at home.
Try these Yon-Ka Paris products to refine your pores at home:
- Nude Perfect Fluide — Say goodbye to primers! This day and night fluid is “THE” secret to achieve the perfect skin and the new natural alternative to primers that are formulated with silicone and parabens. NUDE PERFECT Fluid is a new generation of multi-perfecting fluid with immediate blur effects that will make you forget your Instagram filters. Protecting your skin with a smart shield is now more than ever “an absolute must”. With naturalness and performance, NUDE PERFECT protects the skin barrier from environmental aggressors, urban pollution and the damaging effects of blue light.
- Guarana Scrub – This detoxifying exfoliant scrub features 11 active plant extracts as well as organic ingredients to enliven the complexion. Amazonia guarana seeds naturally exfoliate the skin while organic rice bran powder polishes it to perfection. Used twice a week, this exfoliating scrub gently buffs away skin impurities to leave your pores unclogged and your skin smooth.
- Masque 103 – Made with a triple combination of natural clays, this purifying mask decongests and oxygenates the complexion. Perfect for normal to oily skin, this mask absorbs excess oil to prevent blackheads and the buildup of impurities. Use weekly to tighten pores and purify skin.
- Masque 105 – Formulated for dry and sensitive skin, this delicate clay mask restores your skin’s balanced glow by purifying the skin and tightening pores. It prevents the buildup of impurities to keep pores clear, minimizing breakouts while purifying and clarifying the skin.
- Phyto 52 – A multi-function firming cream, this fast-absorbing night cream is made with a powerful rosemary essential oil base to oxygenate the skin, restoring firmness and invigorating the complexion. It offers firming, vitalizing, and anti-aging benefits with daily use.
- Hydra No. 1 Fluide – This hydrating, mattifying fluid is light in texture, making it perfect for normal to oily skin types. Made with the super-humectant hyaluronic acid, this formula deeply hydrates the skin without clogging pores and prevents the visible signs of aging caused by dehydration.
And coming soon is Yon-Ka’s new Nude Perfect! A perfection product that marries a skincare fluid with a primer to promote flawless skin. Nude Perfect has a blur effect to smooth skin and minimize pores, and with regular usage will decrease pore diameter.
If you’re not sure what skin care products are right for your skin, consult a Yon-Ka Paris professional or use the shop Skin Advisor. With the right products in hand, you can improve and refine the appearance of your skin for a healthy, youthful-looking glow.