When you’re feeling particularly stressed or rundown, a massage is the perfect way to relax and unwind. A good massage can help resolve muscular issues and tightness, helping you feel your best. What if you could apply those same benefits to your face? Facial massage is a well-kept beauty secret you may never have heard of but it’s one you won’t soon forget.
Facial massage is best performed by a licensed aesthetician during a skincare treatment but there are also certain techniques you can use at home to boost and maintain the benefits of your spa facial. Read on to learn more about what facial massages are and how they can benefit your skin.
What is Facial Massage?
If you’ve heard of facial massage, you may have also heard the term “fascial facial”. A fascial facial is a specialized facial treatment that uses myofascial techniques to smooth, lift, and plump the skin. The fascia in your skin is primarily made up of collagen and elastin which, as you know, are responsible for maintaining the smoothness and elasticity of your skin. Massaging the fascia in your face using targeted motions can improve the tone and texture of your skin to restore your youthful appearance.
Want to try facial massage for yourself? One option is to have it done professionally by a Yon-Ka Paris professional as part of your next spa facial. If you want to try it out first, give yourself a quick facial massage at home by following these steps, repeating each movement five times:
- Using your thumb and index finger, gently pinch the skin above and below your eyebrows, moving from the inner to the outer corners.
- Take your index and middle fingers and rub them over your temples in a circular motion to relieve tension.
- Using your index and middle fingers, gently sweep them under your eyes toward the center of your face then up over your eyebrows in a circular motion.
- Glide your fingertips from your temples along the sides of your face down to your neck, pushing any accumulated fluid away.
When it comes to facial massage, you’ll want to be careful and to do it properly. Just be sure not to exert too much pressure and don’t tug or pull at your skin.
If you want to explore another avenue of facial massage, consider using a holistic facial tool like a gemstone facial roller or wands. It uses the same principles of facial massage to remove toxins, smooth fine lines, reduce inflammation, and boost circulation.
The Benefits of Facial Massage
Everyone has their own preferences for skin care and your daily routine is completely your own. Whether you keep it simple with cleanser and moisturizer or you go all-out with a 10-step routine, adding facial massage to your skin care regimen is something worth considering.
Here are the top 6 benefits of facial massage you can look forward to:
- Targeted facial massage can help reduce puffiness around the eyes.
- Facial massage can improve the texture of your skin, helping even it out.
- It helps relax muscle tension in the face and temples (may also help relieve headaches and migraine).
- Facial massage aids in lymphatic drainage, reducing overall puffiness and fluid retention.
- Targeted massage can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Facial massage paired with the right products can help remove dead skin cells.
These benefits sound pretty great, but how does it all work exactly? Facial massage helps improve the suppleness of your skin by reducing and releasing muscle tension in the face and jaw. Fascia tends to become stuck within the layers of the skin which can increase the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Myofascial massage can release stuck fascia and may stimulate restorative cellular activity to tighten the skin and tone the underlying muscles. Facial massage also boosts circulation and promotes lymphatic drainage to increase the supply of nutrients to skin cells and reduce fluid buildup.
Like any facial treatment, facial massage can be customized to your skin type and your individual skin care concerns. Many people see visible changes in their skin after a single treatment and continue to observe improvements over the next 48 hours. For the best results, experts recommend weekly treatments for six weeks followed by monthly maintenance.
Looking for the perfect place to enjoy a facial massage treatment? Use the Yon-Ka Paris Spa Finder to locate a spa near you. A Yon-Ka Paris professional can help work a facial massage into your customized treatment and address any skin care concerns you may have.