The condition of your skin is a reflection of your internal health, so when your face breaks out with pimples, it’s almost always a sign that something deeper is going on beneath the surface.
There are many potential causes for acne, which means that there are also various potential remedies. Many drugstore skincare products designed to resolve acne contain harsh chemical ingredients that could be helpful, but might leave your skin sensitive and red. Natural botanical ingredients, like those found within Yon-Ka Paris products, can provide more of the same benefits without the harsh, negative side effects.
In this article, we’ll explore adult acne in greater depth to learn what it is and what causes it. We’ll also explore some of the best natural ingredients to look for in anti-acne skin care products.
What is Acne and What Causes It?
The American Academy of Dermatology names acne the most common skin condition in the United States. Though occasional breakouts are a common issue among teens and adolescents, even adults can be plagued by acne, and adult acne tends to affect women more than men.
Acne occurs when the pores become clogged with dead skin cells and oils, causing whiteheads and blackheads to form on or just beneath the surface of the skin. These blemishes typically form on the face, forehead, chest, upper back, and shoulders because these are the areas of the body with the highest sebum (oil) production.
Anyone can develop acne at any time, but there are some triggers and risk factors to keep in mind. Here are some of the most common causes of adult acne:
- Fluctuating hormones (particularly in women)
- Chronic or acute stress
- Family history of acne or skin problems
- Using the wrong skincare products
- Side effects of medication
- A diet high in processed sugar and refined grains
- Smoking and other activities that cause skin inflammation
Acne manifests in different ways, and different grades are associated with different types of blemishes. Grade 1 acne manifests in the form of mild whiteheads, blackheads, and uninflamed pimples. Moderate acne with frequent breakouts of pustules and papules is Grade 2, and Grade 3 involves a higher degree of inflammation with numerous papules and pustules. The highest grade, Grade 4, causes many pustules, papules, cysts, and nodules that form on the face, back, chest, neck, and buttocks.
Why Natural Remedies are Best
Acne can range in severity from the occasional mild breakout to chronic, widespread breakouts accompanied by inflammation. Many people who suffer from severe acne turn to their dermatologists for prescription-strength medications. There are also acne medications made with chemical ingredients such as the following:
- Benzoyl Peroxide – In skincare products, this ingredient kills bacteria to prevent it from clogging the pores. It helps reduce redness and inflammation and may also reduce bacterial infections. It comes in several concentrations, starting around 2.5%. Benzoyl Peroxide is available both over the counter and in prescription strength.
- Salicylic Acid – This ingredient removes the excess skin cells that get trapped in the pores, mixing with sebum and bacteria to cause breakouts. It is also Salicylic Acid can be naturally derived or synthetic.
- Antibiotics – All skin contains Propioni bacterium acnes, aka P. acnes, however there is an overabundance of this bacteria found on acneic skin. Antibiotics like clindamycin, erythromycin, and doxycycline can be used to treat bacterial problems and are available by prescription.
Though these ingredients may work to reduce acne, chemical ingredients often come with a long list of potential side effects. For example, benzoyl peroxide works killing bacteria and reducing redness and inflammation, but it can also cause dryness or peeling. Overusing antibiotics is creating drug-resistant bacteria, which can become problematic when faced with severe bacterial infections. Too much exfoliation with Salicylic Acid can irritate and sensitize the skin.
Because chemical skincare ingredients come with a high risk for side effects, you may want to consider a natural alternative. Many natural ingredients for acne provide similar or better results than chemical ingredients with a much lower risk of side effects. Keep reading to learn more.
Look for These Natural Ingredients in Anti-Acne Products
- Aloe Vera – Moisturization is the key to healthy skin, and aloe vera is a natural moisturizer. It also naturally contains sulfur and salicylic acid, two ingredients that work well against acne.
- Burdock – this root extract is purifying and balancing to the skin. It also naturally contains vitamin A, vitamin E, various B vitamins, minerals and sulfur, so it’s anti-oxidant rich and anti-inflammatory.
- Chamomile – Applied topically, chamomile offers anti-inflammatory and analgesic benefits. It also boosts immunity, heals inflammatory skin conditions, lightens pigmented skin, and reduces acne breakouts.
- Essential Oils – There are a variety of essential oils known to provide anti-acne benefits. Lime essential oil offers both antibacterial and antioxidant benefits. Thyme essential oil is a potent anti-septic and rosemary essential oil is highly detoxifying.
- Lactic Acid – A type of alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), lactic acid reduces acne breakouts as well as the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It is also a natural exfoliator.
- John’s Wort – Derived from the flowers of the Hypericum perforatum plant, St. John’s wort extract offers healing benefits while also smoothing and firming the skin.
- Witch Hazel – Made from the bark of the North American witch hazel shrub, this extract contains tannins which are known for their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition to fighting acne and reducing skin inflammation, witch hazel can be used to tone skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This liquid is rich in magnesium, potassium, and acetic acid as well as certain enzymes that kill bacteria in the skin making it antibacterial.
In addition to working these natural ingredients into your anti-acne skincare routine, there are some general guidelines you should follow to maximize your benefits. For example, always use a gentle, soap-free cleanser to avoid irritating or drying out your skin – these issues may make acne worse. You should also be sure to choose skincare products based on your skin type and start using new products slowly, so your skin has time to get used to the product. It is also advisable to see a Yon-Ka trained esthetician for a professional facial.
Not only can changing your skincare routine provide relief from acne but so can certain lifestyle changes. Reducing your stress by giving yourself time to relax can prevent your hormones from fluctuating, triggering an acne breakout. Reducing your intake of dairy, processed foods, and added sugar will also benefit your skin, as well exercising regularly and getting enough sleep.
Yon-Ka Paris Acne-Fighting Products
If you are prone to acne or even just sporadic breakouts, look into the following solutions from Yon-Ka Paris which help naturally fight breakouts at their source.
- Juvenil: Rescue skin afflicted with spots and imperfections with this powerful, alcohol-free topical treatment booster that spot treats blemishes quickly and effectively. It is rich in anti-bacterial, antiseptic, and healing ingredients such as ichthyol, lactic acid, essential oil of lime, Quintessence Yon-Ka, and more.
- Emulsion Pure: Address the unique needs of your skin with this purifying and regenerating treatment emulsion that is essential for those who suffer from chronic breakouts. With a potent concentration of Yon-Ka Quintessence, this multi-action medicine cabinet in a bottle can be used before and after waxing, on sunburn, on insect bites, and on old scars for purifying, soothing, and regenerating effects.
- Crème 15: Purify oily, blemish-prone skin with this antiseptic treatment cream that also calms angry skin and prevents the appearance of small pimply rashes after hair removal. It includes ingredients such as burdock, sage, birch, essential oil of lime, Quintessence Yon-Ka, mallow, chamomile, witch hazel, St John’s Wort, and more.
The Bottom Line
The key to success with any skincare routine is consistency. Build your daily skincare routine around safe, natural products that provide the benefits your skin needs without the risk of side effects like dryness or irritation. Before you know it, your skin will be bright, glowing, and blemish-free.