Holistic Esthetics vs. Traditional or Integrated Esthetics is clear. Holism or Holistic Esthetics are rooted in holistic medicine which believe that all parts of the body are interconnected. To understand separate parts and their functions, such as the skin, you must understand the whole entity of the body. Traditional Esthetics rarely recognize the connection of cause and effect and routinely treat only the symptom of skin conditions. Holistic Esthetics recognize the mind and body unite as an integrated unit in which every function works together to achieve harmony. Traditional esthetics aggressively treat symptomatic skin with chemical resurfacing, ablative lasers which burn the skin, and tools that impale the skin; all before achieving balancing functionality. Besides customized facial protocols in which the hands are the main tool; harmony may be restored through several centuries old philosophies including Naturopathic, Homeopathy, TCM, Ayurveda and Nutrition. Guided by the ‘Naturopathic Creed’ holistic Esthetics and Estheticians promise to do no harm to the skin.
Holistic Esthetics is not a trend! Holistic skincare is connected deeply to the science behind healing and wellness and the mind body connection. The nature of healing takes time and commitment which must be embraced by both client and therapist. Holistic therapy is not instant gratification.
With the ongoing influx of skin sensitivities, allergies, and cancers needing specialized care, Holistic Esthetics continues to be in high demand.
Traits of a Holistic Esthetician
- Holistic Estheticians have an appreciation for health in general and mirror that health in themselves. They must be an ambassador to good health, wellness, and mindfulness.
- The Holistic Esthetician has a broader understanding of anatomy, physiology, chemistry and the functionality of product Ingredients.
- Holistic estheticians display a commitment to higher education and a professional discovery to health changes and challenges. The Holistic Esthetician is educated on noninvasive modalities and techniques such as lymphatic drainage, massage, reflexology, reiki, etc; practicing within the scope of state licensure.
- Holistic estheticians are guided by a therapeutic model of prevention. They maintain a practice and philosophy to provide services that Never alter the biological integrity of the skin.
- Holistic skincare is mindful to the functionality of the skin and what may stress the health of the skin. A Holistic Esthetician understands that Critical skin assessment is superior to product recommendation. One must first ascertain the barrier function, degrees and threshold of sensitivity, even the mindset of the client regarding home care commitment and compliance.
- The Holistic Esthetician recognizes that holistic skincare is not product oriented but an all-encompassing lifestyle. This philosophy must resonate with the Esthetician to pass on the genuine sense of wellness to the client.
- Holistic Estheticians show a high level of professionalism with their clients and form a strong foundation for long term relationships. Customized skin and wellness treatments, home care regimens, and lifestyle choices are all part of standard of care.
Guest article from Lora Peters, a YON-KA Paris Educator.